First movie prop build here I come which means the Mattock has to go on the back burner for a while. I’ve been asked to build a Ghostbusters Trap by Mr Andy Poulastides.
And so it begins…
The main tray is made from two layers of 4mm foam board.
The trap body is next.
Entrance to the trap was cut out.
The display housing was built. I ended up using a light Poly filler to smooth the rough edges over.
This is the battery housing at the back of the unit. It’s going to hold a small circuit and battery for the blinking red light.
Starting to prime everything along with cutting the trap doors.
Yes, yes, I know…. The door panel is on upside down, I meant to do it. No, really I did.
Starting on the circuit building now. Here you see the simple 555 circuit for the blinking light on the battery holder. The orange LED was used just so I could test the circuit. Also the blue 4uF capacitor was stollen out of a disused radio, it was used because I’d forgot to pick one up when buying the other components. I changed it for a new 10uF one later.
How to use things from your modelling equipment to make parts. I was sat around pondering over a number of things about this build, one of those things was how am I going to create the knobs (stop laughing) at the front of the trap. I had a number of small pots in my kit that I was going to use but nothing to turn them.
Then it hit me.
Cut the perspex for the display.
The knobs (no honestly, stop it). The one to the far right is from that radio I butchered previously for a capacitor. I nicked it because it was the on switch for the radio and wanted to use it for the on/off display switch.
More circuit work, this time the yellow display at the front of the unit. With thanks to Jack from Bloody Plastic for letting me mod a circuit of his.
The first test went well but I had wired a few LEDs in the wrong order.
After a little tinkering…. it lives.
Carried on working on the housing by painting and fixing plates sprained to look metallic.
Here you can also see the handle and heat sink on the side panel which were both built from scratch.
The handle was built using wood for the upright, plastic tubing for the handle and capped of with poly filler which was shaped. It was then attached to the back wall with two wood screws.
The Heat sink was made from lollypop sticks.
A battery holder was manufactured from foam board to hold the smoke machine battery safely and to provide a quick swap out if needed.
Here is the mod made to the e-cigarette unit. It’s a pretty simple circuit in which the red cable crimp was soldered to the plate that feeds the coil in the cigarette. Once the electricity has passed through and heated the coil it is sent back to the -ve of the battery via the housing.
This is the final circuit for the smoke machine to fit into the Ghostbusters Trap. It uses a very simple normally open circuit to power the coil, I used this because If the coil is powered constantly it will burn out.
This is the smoke machine and display board crammed into the trap body. If I had a little more time then I would have tried and tested smaller integrated circuits or other styles of housing everything.
The blinking red light in action.
Here is the smoke working inside the trap. The light wasn’t great and the machine was set at a low output so there’s not as much as there could be but the video was to prove it works. This was also shot just before I added the finishing touches which can be seen below.