This will take some time….
I’ve decided to take on a personal big build to prove to myself that this is possible. for some strange reason I want to create something I’m not familiar with, the idea behind this is I’ll need to keep referencing drawings and photos instead of thinking “yeah, I’m sure it goes like this”. I don’t want to get complacent.
I blew up the picture above and printed it out to around 30″ in length, thought that seemed right. Then used my xacto blade to cut the main profile out.
The gun will be made out of MDF of various thicknesses.
The detail was transferred to the main body. As I go I’ll be cutting up the template to create layers, these will be used to add detail and profile to the gun.
The side panels are cut out and mocked up against the main body.
The trigger housing was cut out.
The handle was removed to give better access to the top of the barrel. The bare part removed was then shaped.
More detail was added to the side panels.
The handle has been shaped a little and new panels to the upper and lower added.
Grip profiles were cut out and shaped.
And then cut in half …… wait, what? ….
Well, it makes for a cleaner bevel.
Here I am designing and building the trigger.
That’s the trigger, now for the grill heat sink. For this I used the humble lollypop stick.
Then a package turned up at my house, so I started to play with silicon moulds.
Work carried out to create the heatsink. I forgot to take photos of the original unit but I’m sure it was some sort of a flexible sink trap.
Friend and top crafts man Richard turned the mussels. Please do check his Facebook page out, very talented guy.
It came out very well but a little too shiny for my liking so it was at this point I decided to weather everything. I’d also missed a few bits while masking up but I think it adds a bit of history to the prop.
After masking off the ends and spraying the centre silver, (which I forgot to take photos of but never mind, I’m sure you get the idea) I masked off an area for the green. No air brushing or spraying this time, I wanted it thick and gritty. A couple of coats later and it’s fitted to the gun.
The whole gun is weathered with a mix of yellow, brown and black paints. I used various techniques for this which included the ‘smother on, dab off’, ‘wipe on, wipe off’ and the ‘Oh bugger, I forgot I put some there’.
I also sanded a bit of the gloss off in high usage parts.
The trigger was glued to the housing and the trigger guard (cast from resin) was sanded and painted then attached once the heat sink was attached. The trigger fulcrum was painted and attached. (not shown)